2020 Nissan Altima vs. 2020 Subaru Legacy
KEY ALTIMA ADVANTAGES
- Choice of all-wheel drive1 or front-wheel drive – Altima is available in front-wheel or all-wheel drive, allowing buyers to choose the vehicle that meets their needs. Legacy is available only in all-wheel drive.
- Active Ride Control (ARC) – Every Altima has Active Ride Control, which automatically adjusts throttle and applies brake pressure on rough road surfaces to help enhance ride quality. No Legacy offers such a feature.
- 2 Type-A and 2 Type-C USB ports2 (vs. 4 Type-A only) – Altima is equipped with both Type-A and Type-C USB ports for users to connect their devices to. USB Type-C has faster charging and is used by some newer phones, tablets, and laptop computers. Legacy offers only Type-A USB ports.
- Driver information features – Altima offers driver information features that are either not available on Legacy or are only available on higher trim levels or as extra-cost options, including:
- Standard Rear Door Alert3 (vs. not available)
- Available Traffic Sign Recognition4 (TSR) (vs. not available)
- Standard Intelligent Driver Alertness5 (I-DA) (vs. available)
- Standard Advanced Drive-Assist® Display6 (vs. available)
- Safety features – Altima offers available safety features with capabilities that Legacy cannot match, including:
- Standard seat-mounted rear-passenger side-impact supplemental air bags7 (vs. not available)
- Standard Easy-Fill Tire Alert8 (vs. not available)
- Standard Intelligent Forward Collision Warning9 (I-FCW) (vs. standard, but not intelligent)
- Available Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection10 (vs. standard, but no pedestrian detection)
- Available Intelligent Around View® Monitor11 (I-AVM) (vs. available front and rear cameras only, and no Moving Object Detection system)
- Available Variable Compression Turbo (VC-Turbo) engine
- Available sport-tuned suspension
- Larger available wheels and tires
- Zero Gravity front seats
- D-shaped steering wheel
- Standard Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition (vs. available)
- Standard Remote Engine Start12 (vs. available)
- Available Nissan Door to Door Navigation13
- Standard SiriusXM® Advanced Audio Features14 (vs. available)
- More front leg room15
- Better EPA mileage estimates16 (2.0 VC-Turbo FWD vs. 2.4 turbo AWD)
Legacy is Subaru’s 5-passenger midsize sedan available in six trim levels. Powertrain choices are:
- 2.5-liter DOHC H-4
- 182 horsepower
- All-wheel drive
- Continuously Variable Transmission
- 2.4-liter turbocharged DOHC H-4
- 260 horsepower
- All-wheel drive
- Continuously Variable Transmission
Legacy’s heritage is built around its all-wheel drive system and its reputation for efficiency, safety, and reliability. By returning a turbocharged XT model for 2020, Legacy adds a sporty performance option as well. Altima offers a choice of front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive and can impress with sporty performance features of its own on the SR VC-Turbo model. The innovative variable-compression turbo engine also has the flexibility of performance and efficiency. Altima’s athletic exterior styling, premium interior, and long list of advanced comfort, convenience, and safety technologies add to its overall appeal.
Subaru Legacy is all-new for 2020 with the following notable changes:
- Revised exterior and interior styling
- New Touring XT trim level
- Upgraded 2.5-liter direct-injection engine with 182 horsepower
- New 2.4-liter direct-injection turbocharged 4-cylinder (replaces 3.6-liter H-6 engine)
- 8-speed manual shift mode with CVT
- Stablex ride control no longer available
- Standard LED headlights
- Tablet-style 11.6-inch HD multimedia infotainment system
- Available 180-degree front camera
- Standard High Beam Assist
- Available DriverFocus™ Distraction Mitigation System
- More interior passenger volume
- Driver’s knee air bag
- Standard auto start/stop ignition
- Available heated steering wheel
Source: All vehicle information is based on respective manufacturers’ websites. Information accurate at time of publication.
This website is intended for general descriptive and informational purposes only. It is subject to change and does not constitute an offer, representation or warranty (express or implied) by Nissan North America, Inc. Interested parties should confirm the accuracy of any information in this website as it relates to a vehicle directly with Nissan North America, Inc. before relying on it to make a purchase decision. Nissan North America, Inc. reserves the right to make changes, at any time, without prior notice, in prices, colors, materials, equipment, specifications, and models and to discontinue models or equipment. Due to continuous product development and other pre- and post-production factors, actual vehicle, materials and specifications may vary from this website. Some vehicles shown with optional equipment. See the actual vehicle for complete accuracy. Availability and delivery times for particular models or equipment may vary. Specifications, options and accessories may differ in Hawaii, U.S. territories and other countries. For additional information on availability, options or accessories, see your Nissan dealer or contact Nissan North America, Inc.
The Nissan names, logos and slogans are trademarks owned by or licensed to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. and/or its North American subsidiaries. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
1 Intelligent All-Wheel Drive cannot prevent collisions or provide enhanced traction in all conditions. Always monitor traffic and weather conditions.
2 Driving is serious business and requires your full attention. If you have to use the connected device while driving, exercise extreme caution at all times so full attention may be given to vehicle operation.
3 Does not detect people or cargo. Always check rear seat before exiting.
4 Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) may not detect and read all traffic signs in all conditions. Driver should monitor all traffic signs and obey all traffic laws.
5 Intelligent Driver Alertness cannot provide a warning in every situation. See Owner’s Manual for safety information.
6 Driving is serious business and requires your full attention. Use the text messaging feature after stopping your vehicle in a safe location. If you have to use the feature while driving, exercise extreme caution at all times so full attention may be given to vehicle operation.
7 Air bags are only a supplemental restraint system. Always wear your seat belt. Rear-facing child restraints should not be placed in the front-passenger’s seat. All children 12 and under should ride in the rear seat properly secured in child restraints, booster seats, or seat belts according to their size. Air bags will only inflate in certain accidents. See Owner’s Manual for safety information.
8 Vehicle must be on for the Easy-Fill Tire Alert to operate.
9 Intelligent Forward Collision Warning cannot prevent collisions. See Owner’s Manual for safety information.
10 Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection cannot prevent all collisions and may not provide warning or braking in all conditions. Driver should monitor traffic conditions and brake as needed to prevent collisions. See Owner’s Manual for safety information.
11 Intelligent Around View Monitor cannot eliminate blind spots and may not detect every object. Driver should always turn and check surroundings before driving. See Owner’s Manual for safety information.
12 State laws may apply. Review before using.
13 Never program while driving. GPS mapping may not be detailed in all areas or reflect current road status.
14 Feature availability is dependent on vehicle model, trim level, packaging and options. Compatible connected device may be required and feature availability may be dependent on device’s capability. Refer to connected device’s owner’s manual for details. Late availability for some features.
Driving is serious business and requires your full attention. Only use features and connected devices when safe and legal to do so. Some features, including automatic crash notification and SOS, are dependent upon the telematics device being in operative condition, its ability to connect to a wireless network, compatible wireless network availability, navigation map data and GPS satellite signal receptions, the absence of which can limit or prevent the ability to reach Customer Care or receive support. GPS mapping may not be detailed in all areas or reflect current road status. Never program GPS while driving. Only use Remote Engine Start and Remote Horn features in accordance with any laws, rules or ordinances in effect in your vehicle’s location.
Some services and features are provided by independent companies not within Nissan’s control. Should service provider terminate or restrict service or features, service or features may be suspended or terminated without notice or with no liability to Nissan or its partners or agents. Services and features may require compatible cellular network provided by independent companies not within Nissan or its partners’ or agents’ control. Cellular network signal strength may vary and may not be available in all areas or at all times. Services and features may not function if cellular network is unavailable, restricted, or terminated. Nissan and its partners or agents are not responsible for associated costs or other third party changes that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network unavailability, restriction, or termination (including equipment replacements/upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks). Technology is evolving, and changes by independent companies are not within Nissan’s or its partners’ or agents’ control.
Enrollment, owner consent, personal identification number (PIN), and subscription agreement may be required to receive full suite of features and services. Trial periods (if applicable) begin on the date of vehicle purchase or lease of a new Nissan. Trial periods may be subject to change at any time and may be subject to early termination without notice. Required subscriptions may be sold separately for each available feature or service after trial period ends, and may continue until you call service provider to cancel. Installation costs, one-time activation fee, other fees and taxes may apply. Fees and programming subject to change. Feature may be subject to age restrictions in some areas. Subscriptions governed by service provider’s subscription agreement, terms and conditions and privacy statements available at service provider’s website. Text rates or data usage may apply.
The Nissan names, logos and slogans are trademarks owned by or licensed to Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. or its North American subsidiaries. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
For important safety information, system limitations, and additional operating and feature information, see dealer, Owner’s Manual, or www.NissanUSA.com/connect/important-information.
15 Final specifications subject to change prior to start of sale.
16 2020 EPA Fuel Economy Estimates for Altima: 28 city MPG/39 hwy MPG/32 combined MPG for 2.5 FWD S, SV, and SL; 27 city MPG/37 hwy MPG/31 combined MPG for 2.5 FWD SR and Platinum; 25 city MPG/34 hwy MPG/29 combined MPG for 2.0 VC-Turbo FWD; 26 city MPG/36 hwy MPG/30 combined MPG for 2.5 AWD S, SV, and SL; 25 city MPG/35 hwy MPG/29 combined MPG for 2.5 AWD SR and Platinum. Actual mileage may vary with driving conditions. Use for comparison only.